CSIRAC 70th Anniversary
15 November 2019
CSIRAC 70th Anniversary Celebration
Following on from our centenary celebration of the life of Dr Pearcey, we invited past, present and future leaders from academia and industry in celebrating the 70th Anniversary of CSIRAC: Australia's first computer and the world's fourth.
Trevor Pearcey paved the way for the birth of computer science in Australia. This celebratory event was a chance to honour Pearcey's legacy and catch a glimpse of what the future holds for Australian innovation, as we toast to the spirit of entrepreneurship, collaboration and leadership. To celebrate the 70th anniversary of the commissioning of CSIRAC at the Radiophysics Division of CSIRO.
The CSIRAC Celebration
From 1:00pm, the CSIRAC 70th Anniversary Celebration, was held at the Kathleen Fitzpatrick Theatre at Melbourne University. It honoured Pearcey's instrumental role in the creation of CSIRAC - Australia's first computer and the world's fourth. Speakers contemplated the current state of Pearcey's preferred research areas, such as creative industries, connected worlds, intelligent infrastructure and future environments.
- Gilbert Brunet - Group Executive and Chief Scientist, Bureau of Meteorology
- Elizabeth Croft - Professor and Dean Faculty of Engineering, Monash University
- Brendan Dalton - Chief Information Officer, CSIRO
- Paul Doornbusch - Associate Dean, Australian College of the Arts
- Paul Gray - Chief Executive Officer, Cohda Wireless
- Rose Hiscock - Director, Museums and Collections, University of Melbourne
- Kate Lundy - Director, NRMA and Cyber Security Research Centre
- Sarah Maddison - Pro-Vice Chancellor (Academic Innovation & Change), Swinburne University of Technology and a Professor of Astrophysics
- Ian Oppermann - NSW Chief Data Scientist
- Maurice Pagnucco - Head of School, Computer Science and Engineering, University of New South Wales
- Grant Petty - CEO and Founder, Blackmagic Design
- Liz Sonenberg - Professor and Pro Vice Chancellor, University of Melbourne
- Jon Whittle - Professor and Dean of the Faculty of IT, Monash University